Watch the whale in Jaco Beach, Costa Rica

We were fishing in Jaco Beach, Costa Rica and suddenly we saw this amazing whale jumping in front us.

The very best place and time to watch whales is along the Southern Pacific Coast from about Jacó or Manuel Antonio between August through October. So yes, we were lucky, October whale season said to us good bye with this show.



Important Things Should Know and Do Before Buying a Property in Costa Rica

The following tips are valuable information to avoid fraud and other problems when purchasing property in Costa Rica.


Lots/Undeveloped Land: If you are interested in buying a lot or undeveloped land in Costa Rica, you must check that it complies or that it has the following:

1) The plan approved by the corresponding Municipality. The municipal visa is the procedure by which the Municipal Council approvals the cadastral plan of the property. The visa is necessary because it verifies several things including: the proximity of gullies and the condition of the soil. The municipal visa also verifies that that the property and title is not duplicated in the registry. That is, a property does not have two titles or two registered owners. Also, the visa verifies that the property lines does not overlap with another property. Once the property obtains the visa plan, the interested party can process a construction permit, sell the land or obtain a deed for the property. In addition, the visa enables the owner to divide a  property or urbanize it if allowed.

2) If the plan was approved, it means that the lot has water services and can be used later for construction. If the plan has not yet been approved by the Department of Cadaster of the corresponding Municipality, a buyer should at least verify with the AYA (Costa Rican Institute of Aqueducts and Sewers or with the  ASADA corresponding Water Administer if not served by AYA) if the property apply to has the water service in order to later apply for the Municipal Visa. If the potable water is not available at the property, it is best not buy it.

3) If the property is adjacent to a body of water (sea, estuary, river), the INVU (National Institute of Housing and Urbanism) must check the property.  This step is to help avoid a situation where the buyer is left with property that is not completely usable because of the encroachment of water.  For example, if someone buys a property of 200 square meters, which adjoins an estuary.  As the estuary becomes larger, INVU determines that there are only 150 square meters of buildable land because of the proximity of the estuary.  This would leave the owner only 150 meters of usable property because the other 50 meters could be taken at any time by the estuary.

4) It is also necessary to check with corresponding Municipality what the Land Use granted is on the property.  This step is to corroborate that the lot can be used for the purposes that the buyer requires. Uses can be: Residential, commercial (Tourist – Industrial) and / or Agricultural. It should be noted that for property zoned as Agricultural, the owner is only allowed to build a single family home on 15% of the property. The remaining 85% is intended for agricultural purposes. For example: crops, corrals, stables, warehouses to store grains, etc.

5) Property can also be used to guarantee mortgages. In these cases, please be careful to check the notes in the Land Use document.  If the document was granted only for banking purposes, it means that the plan has not yet been endorsed for the Cadastral Department of the corresponding Municipality.

6) It is also necessary to verify with SETENA and MINAET if there are protected areas on the property. For example: mangroves, wetlands, ravines, forest, etc. that cannot be used for construction.

7) After checking the steps above, you should verify in the Bienes Inmuebles and Valoraciones Departments at the Municipality, how much is currently paid for taxes and if the taxes are up to date. You should also ask if it has construction permits granted that has not been executed and not canceled so next you can request the cancellation to prevent paying higher taxes than required. Verify this before purchasing the property and transferring the property into your name.

8) Next Check with the Construction Department if the property has a construction permit for “Earth Movement”.  If the property has this kind of permit you will need to verify the date of when the movement was granted and executed.  This will give you the date when the land will be ready to start any construction. It is recommended that the respective soil tests be carried out by a qualified professional to measure and test the soil qualities.

9) Another very important step is to have a surveyor verify by the property line established in the plan cadaster. This is to confirm that the amount of land being sold actually exists under the name of the seller. There are cases of people who sell pieces of property that does not belong to them and this step will prevent that potential problem.


For finished constructions


1) For these cases, it must be verified that the construction has the respective construction permit approved by the corresponding Municipality. Please double check that what is on the permit is actually what was built.  This step will prevent you from becoming responsible for someone else not following construction regulations.

2) Check with Construction Department of the Municipality that the limit of the construction and the adjoining areas have been respected. Additionally, you should check if there are complaints because of the construction.


Commercial Buildings


For these cases, please verify that there are no known problems” problems for the Land Use granted or for any other issues for the operation of the premises. In addition, the property has to allow access for all types of people, such as ramps for wheelchairs, elevators if there are two or more floors, parking, bathrooms for customers and in compliance with sanitary regulations. Also check if the property has pending fees for permits. If the commercial premises has an assigned commercial permit that is not being used, the permit must be canceled.

If you have any questions or need more advice leave the comment or email

“Updated in Costa Rica Kiss Sales, on October 23, 2017 by Cibelly Rojas”

Bibliographic references 

Adrián Chinchilla. (2002). ¿Qué es el visado municipal?. 2017, de La Nación Sitio web:

Oficina de Prensa. (2017). Costa Rica emite por primera vez política pública para proteger humedales. 2017, de MINAET Sitio web: 

Formularios y Requisitos. Sitio Web:

Reglamento de la Ley de Catastro Sitio Web:

Asadas. Sitio Web

INVU. Sitio Web:



Cosas que debo saber y hacer antes de comprar una propiedad en Costa Rica

Los siguientes consejos son información valiosa para evitar fraudes y otros problemas al comprar una propiedad en Costa Rica.


       Lotes: Si está interesado en comprar un lote en Costa Rica, se debe revisar que cumpla o que tenga lo siguiente:

1) El plano visado por la Municipalidad correspondiente. El visado municipal es el trámite mediante en que el ayuntamiento da el visto bueno al plano catastro de una propiedad determinada. El visado es necesario porque con éste se verifica varias cosas, como por ejemplo: la proximidad a quebradas o el estado de los suelos. Otra de las cosas que se verifica con el visado municipal es que la propiedad no esté duplicada. Es decir, que una propiedad no tenga doble documentación o dos dueños registrados y que la propiedad no tenga traslape con otra propiedad.  También una vez con el plano visado, el interesado puede tramitar su permiso de construcción, vender el terreno o levantar una escritura de su propiedad. Además puede fraccionar una finca o urbanizarla. Si el plano está visado quiere decir que el lote cuenta con servicios de agua y podrá ser utilizado posteriormente para la construcción.

2) Si el plano aún no está visado por el Departamento de Catastro de la Municipalidad correspondiente, al menos se debe verificar que la propiedad califique para solicitar la disponibilidad de agua ante el AYA (Instituto costarricense de Acueductos y Alcantarillados) o en la Asada correspondiente (Las Asociación Administradora de los Sistemas de Acueductos y Alcantarillados Comunales en Costa Rica).  Para posteriormente poder solicitar el Visado Municipal. Es decir, si la propiedad no tiene la posibilidad de tener agua potable, mejor no la compre.

3) Si la propiedad colinda con un cuerpo de agua (mar, estero, río, lo que sea que tenga agua permanente) se debe verificar con el INVU (Instituto Nacional de Vivienda y Urbanismo) cuál es el retiro aplicable a la propiedad. Este paso es para evitar, por ejemplo: que se compre una propiedad de 200 metros cuadrados, que colinda con un estero y como hay posibilidad de que el estero se desborde, el INVU determina que para una construcción segura se tiene que retirar 50 metros del estero, quedando solo 150 metros de propiedad.

4) También se debe revisar en la Municipalidad correspondiente, el Uso de Suelo otorgado, para corroborar que el lote se puede usar para los fines que requiere el comprador. Los usos pueden ser: Residencial, comercial (Turístico – Industrial) y/o Agrícola. Tomar en cuenta que en una propiedad para fines agrícolas es permitido construir únicamente una vivienda unifamiliar en el 15% de la propiedad. El 85% restante está dirigido para fines agrícolas o construcciones a fines. Como por ejemplo: corrales, caballerizas, bodegas para guardar granos, etc.

5) Los Usos de Suelo también pueden ser otorgados para hipotecas. En estos casos por favor tener cuidado y revisar las notas en el Uso de Suelo, si el documento fue otorgado únicamente para fines bancarios, quiere decir que el plano aún no ha sido visado.

6) También se tiene que averiguar ante SETENA y el MINAET si hay áreas protegidas en la propiedad. Por ejemplo: manglares, humedales, quebradas, bosque o algo parecido que no pueda ser usado para obras constructivas.

7) Una vez revisado los pasos anteriores, también se puede verificar en la Municipalidad correspondiente, cuánto paga actualmente de impuestos la propiedad y si tiene impuestos atrasados ante el Departamento de Valoraciones y Bienes Inmuebles. Se debe preguntar todo sobre la propiedad, si tiene algún permiso de construcción otorgado que no se haya ejecutado ni cancelado para posteriormente solicitar al dueño que cancele el permiso para evitar cobros futuros de impuestos  por una cosntrucción no existente. Por favor verificar esto antes de comprar y hacer el traspaso a su nombre en el Registro de la Propiedad.

8) Verificar en el Departamento de Construcciones, si la propiedad tiene algún permiso de construcción para “Movimiento de Tierra”. De ser así, se debe revisar la fecha de cuándo fue otorgado y ejecutado el movimiento, para saber en cuánto tiempo estará listo la tierra para iniciar cualquier construcción. Para una construción segura, se recomienda hacer por medio de un profesional calificado las respectivas pruebas de suelo, para medir y comprobar la resistencia de la misma.

9) Un paso muy importante es verificar por medio de un topógrafo los linderos establecidos en el plano catastro de la propiedad con los del sitio en venta. Para confirmar que la cantidad de tierra que le están vendiendo sea la que existe en el lote bajo el nombre del vendedor. Porque han habido casos de personas que venden partes de tierras que no les corresponde. Es decir, fraude.


Para Construcciones terminadas


1) Para estos casos se debe verificar que la construcción cuente con el respectivo permiso de construcción aprobado por la Municipalidad correspondiente. Por favor corroborar que lo que dice el permiso, sea la obra que está construida, si no lo es, hablar con el actual dueño, para resolver lo del permiso de construcción y los pagos de impuestos, antes de comprar la propiedad, si no después podrías cargar con problemas ajenos, de alguien que no cumplió con lo establecido en la ley.

2) Verificar en el Departamento de Construcciones de la Municipalidad correspondiente, que se haya respetado los linderos de la construcción y las colindancias. Además si existe denuncias en general dirigidas a la construcción. También puede verificar con el departamento de Bienes Inmuebles cuánto paga de impuestos la propiedad.


Para Locales Comerciales


 Verificar que el local no tenga demandas por el Uso de Suelo otorgado o por algún inconveniente que se haya presentado por el funcionamiento del mismo. Además, que tenga los accesos para todo tipo de personas, como las rampas para silla de ruedas, elevadores si es de dos o más plantas, parqueos, que tenga baños para los clientes y todas las condiciones sanitarias. También verificar que no tenga cobros pendientes por concepto de patentes.

Si el local comercial tiene una patente comercial asignada que no está siendo usada, se debe hacer el proceso para su respectiva cancelación.

Si tienes alguna duda o necesitas más asesoramiento dejanos el comentario o contactanos al correo de

“Actualizado por Cibelly Rojas, el 23 de octubre del 2017”


Referencias Bibliográficas

Adrián Chinchilla. (2002). ¿Qué es el visado municipal?. 2017, de La Nación Sitio web:

Oficina de Prensa. (2017). Costa Rica emite por primera vez política pública para proteger humedales. 2017, de MINAET Sitio web: 

Formularios y Requisitos. Sitio Web:

Reglamento de la Ley de Catastro Sitio Web:

Asadas. Sitio Web

INVU. Sitio Web: